Thursday, October 25, 2018


I chose this photo of St Johns the Divine columns because I recalled that the marble they were made of came from a quarry in Maine.  This reminded me of how difficult it must have been to build St John's Cathedral & other Cathedrals like it. I recalled from St John's history that these columns are 55 foot high surrounding the altar and each is made from a single piece of stone quarried in Maine.  Just these columns alone informs me that the people who built such architectural wonders must have been so dedicated to their craft & may have felt inspired by their religious faith




 This relief sculpture was so beautifully done like so many including Abraham Lincoln right next to the group of Martin Luther King & Gandhi.  I took this photo because it reminded me that St John's was not just a place to worship and remember Christianity & pray but to give thanks to those who tried to make this world a better & more humane place to live.  It also reminded me that St John's is an Episcopal church that is very open to new ideas and people from all walks of life.  They were very much involved in social justice issues such as the civil rights movement & standing up against oppression where ever in the world it may have been happening.  The relief of Lincoln tells us that the Episcopal Church must have been on the side of abolishing slavery.   Such a well done stone artifact that reminds us that we have one life & we can all do some good with our lives if we try.  When I saw the this artifact it felt like I was seeing the best of who we can be and hoped to achieve despite the darkness we see in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment